McGraw Historical Society was established at 5 Main Street, McGraw, New York in 1976. Mrs. Lucille Kullman and Mrs. Gloria Ackroyd were active members of the committee that started the local museum for the 1976 Bicentennial celebration; the new Local History room is located at the rear of the Lamont Memorial Free Library. The McGraw Historical Society collection comprises memorabila, furniture, photographs, news articles, scrapbooks, photograph albums, post cards, books, and various items of interest deaing with the Village and it's residents, both early and current. Many items of the original collection were gifts and records that had been given to or collected by the Lamont Library. Our photo collection numbers close to 2,000 and many of these can be viewed in the Village of McGraw, NY History collection. Two very special sections of the McGraw Historical Society are the "New York Central College" and the Daniel S. Lamont collections.
McGraw Historical Society Information
McGraw Historical Society Website
McGraw Historical Society Photo Collection
Lamont Memorial Free Library
The McGraw Historical Society will accept, and safely maintain, preserve, and display local artifacts and memorabilia reflecting the McGraw area.
Collections in McGraw Historical Society
Village of McGraw, NY History
New York Central College
This college was one of the nation's first institutes of higher education to accept all students with no consideration to race or gender and was open from 1849 to 1860.
Daniel Lamont Correspondence (In Progress)
Daniel S. Lamont was personal friend and secretary to New york State Governor Grover Cleveland. When Cleveland was elected President of the United States, he appointed Lamont to be his Secretary of War and close confidant.