The Village of Fort Plain has long been a center of settlement and commerce due to its strategic geographic location. From the settlements of the Mohawks to the arrival of the Palatine Germans whose hard work made the area into a prosperous farming community in the 1700's to the establishment of the Fort on the eve of the Revolution. Fort Plain has served as a central strong point in the middle Mohawk Valley.
The Fort Plain Free Library, across from Haslett Park, offers a sampling of genealogies, local history texts, and brochures highlighting area attractions and accommodations in its Visitor's Center.
View the Fort Plain Free Library Digital Collection
Visit the Fort Plain Free Library Home Page
Fort Plain Free Library Sub-collections:
Clinton Liberal Institute
A sample of the images and artifacts that the library has on permanent display relating to the coeducational, military preparatory school that existed in the village at the latter half of the nineteenth century.
The collections illustrate how crucial the Canal was in the history of the village of Fort Plain.
Fort Plain Street Fair
In the fall of 1898 a number of Main Street merchants got up a display of farm fruits and produce on the sidewalks in front of their stores, and this was the nucleus of the Fort Plain Street Fair, famed throughout Central New York. Great crowds come by horse and automobile conveyances and by trains from up and down the valley to this September carnival. As many as 50,000 visitors are estimated to have attended the fair, during the week in which it is held, and 15,000 are said to have been present on a single day. Excellent displays of fruit, farm produce, field crops and poultry were held under canvas covered booths on the brick pavement of Canal and Main streets. Races, free attractions , band concerts, merry-go-rounds, etc. were added. These images from the early 1900s. The fair was abandonded during the war years.