The Liverpool Public Library, Liverpool, NY, has three photograph collections in New York Heritage. View entire collection, or visit our subcollections:
The Schuelke Collection:
Ted Schuelke was a Liverpool, New York resident and his photograph collection is comprised of pictures taken in the immediate Liverpool area and in the Adirondacks. Many of the photographs record the Village of Liverpool during the early 1920s and others document Liverpool's salt and willow industries. There are also photographs of the areas surrounding Onondaga Lake, the Oswego Canal, Mud Lock, and the projects undertaken by the Work Relief Bureau under the leadership of Liverpool banker, Crandall Melvin Sr. (Currently, this collection is only partially available online. When complete, it will contain about 1200 photographs.) A lesson plan using the salt industry materials of this collection may be found here.
The Wolcott Collection:
Fred Wolcott photographed and documented daily life on the Onondaga Nation territory around 1910. The Wolcott Collection of 85 photographs can be viewed on New York Heritage. A lesson plan using these materials may be found here
Toby Crawford was a Liverpool native who loved to collect historic photographs from various sources. The online collection includes scans of ninety-one glass plate negatives from George “Waxy” Miller and James T. Rogers taken during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Both gentlemen were professional photographers with studios in Liverpool. The Crawford Collection of 177 photographs can be viewed on New York Heritage.
The Crawford Walking Tour- 1975:
Jasper T. Crawford was a printer, a professional photographer and a man who loved to tell the story of Liverpool. During the mid 1970s, Toby decided to photograph many of the houses of historical interest in Liverpool.
View the interactive Google Map of the Crawford Walking Tour with streetview
Access to these digital images is made possible by a New York State Regional Bibliographic Database grant, in cooperation with the Onondaga County Parks Office of Museums and Historic Sites, the Onondaga County Public Library, and the Central New York Library Resources Council (CLRC). Additional funds from NYSOPRHP secured by Senator John DeFrancisco's Heritage Grant Program, administered by the Cultural Resources Council.