The Middleburg Library was created from a meeting in 1932. A room in the Haynes House was set as the first library. Mrs. Frances B. Spencer, a qualified librarian, donated her services as librarian without cost, for two afternoons and two evenings a week. Mrs. Spencer served as librarian without pay for more than 40 years!
The library has moved four times and is currently in its second "permanent" home. In all these moves the library continued to contain components that made it important to the community: a community/meeting room, a children's room and a History/Genealogy room.
On August 28, 2011 Hurricane Irene flooded the library. Due to the devastation, the building was forced to close its doors. Over 3,000 books, carpeting, furnishings and computers were lost. With the help of volunteers and numerous donations the library reopened for business with a special celebration on February 4th, 2012. The library continues to be a community-gathering place and a vital part of the fabric of Middleburgh!
The library contains a large collection documents, family bibles, and photographs of the history of Middleburgh and the surrounding area.
View the Middleburgh Library Digital Collection
Visit the Middleburgh Library Website
Middleburgh Library Sub-collections:
Family Bible Records Schoharie County NY
Pages contain a digitized index of Family Bibles held by Middleburgh Library. These images may be searched by family name and are useful for genealogical research.
Main Street Businesses Middleburgh New York - coming soon!
World's Fair Items Dr. Best House & Medical Exhibit -
Items from part of one of the collection in the The Best House - the home and property was donated to the Middleburgh Library Association by the Estate of Dr. Duncan L. Best. The house is the Dr. Christopher S. Best Medical Exhibit.