Founded in 1846, University at Buffalo (UB) is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. A flagship institution in the State University of New York system, UB is the largest and most comprehensive campus in the 64-campus SUNY system. It is a member of the Association of American Universities.
The University Archives, established in 1964 by President Clifford C. Furnas, is the repository of the historically valuable records of the State University of New York at Buffalo and its predecessor, the University of Buffalo (1846-1962). The University Archives collects the records of all academic departments at UB, all university and student publications, and pursues the private papers of administrators, faculty members, and other individuals closely associated with the University. Rich historical collections complement the current or past research interests of faculty or document regional organizations and events. The University Archives supports the teaching, research, and service missions of the university by acquiring, organizing and promoting the use of these special archival collections.
University at Buffalo Libraries Online Finding Aids
UB's University Archives Information:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260-1674
Phone: (716) 645-2916
UB's University Archives Collections:
Darwin D. Martin Photograph Collection
Jewish Buffalo Image Collection
Love Canal Images
Thomas B. Lockwood: The Man and His Library
Twentieth Century Club of Buffalo
University at Buffalo Spectrum
University at Buffalo Student Newspapers, 1921-1950
The Polish Room owes its existence to a special relationship between the University, the city of Buffalo, and the local Polish community. It was established in 1955, on the occasion of a large conference of Polish Americans held in Buffalo, then home to a thriving Polish Arts Club and many other organizations and institutions devoted to preserving their Polish heritage. The 21 royal documents, that are the cornerstone of the collection, were donated to the library by the owners of Sattler's Department Store as a symbol of goodwill and commitment to the East Side of Buffalo and to Polonia. Their purchase was arranged by the prominent Polish journalist, Aleksander Janta, who had made Buffalo his home.
UB's Polish Room Information:
Room 517, Lockwood Library
Buffalo, NY 14260-2200
UB's Polish Room Collections: