Skip to main content

About this collection

Utica College Center for Historical Research

 Teaching, research, and the archiving and sharing of significant historical document collections are the three pillars of our mission at the Utica College Center for Historical Research. We serve students, academic and non-academic historians alike. Through various outreach activities we endeavor to bring campus and community together to foster a greater understanding of the historical condition and its global importance.




Crain Family Papers

 The Crain family resided in the town of Warren in southern Herkimer County (Cullen, New York), and maintained strong political ties and involvement in both New York City and national politics. Born on March 19, 1774, in Weston, Maine, physician Rufus Crain moved from Connecticut, and established a medical practice in Warren, Herkimer County, New York by 1794. In 1798, he married Philatheta C. Marshall from Colchester, Connecticut. Born August 31, 1798, the couple’s son (one son, two daughters), William Cullen Crain, married Warren resident Perses Narsina Tunnicliff in June 1826. The two had seven children (Philotheta Lucetta Crain Bowers,1827; Rufus William Crain, 1829; Dunham Jones Crain, 1831; Charlotte Ranzau Crain, 1835; William Baker Crain, 1883; Bianca Louisa Crain, 1844; and Richard Tunnicliff Crain, 1883). Born April 20, 1838, William Baker Crain served as a Union Army physician and surgeon from 1861 to 1865. Upon his return to Herkimer County in 1865, his father William Cullen passed away. Dunham Jones Crain was born February 28, 1831 in Warren, and married Hannah Ann Crocker on April 25, 1859. Dunham Jones graduated from Union College in 1850, practiced law with the firm Barney and Butler in 1854, and served as a New York State Assemblyman (New York City Fourteenth District) in 1858, and as President Rutherford B. Hayes’s consul in Milan, Italy, between 1877 and 1884. Born the first of seven children (Sarah N. Eliza Crain in 1862, Hannah Ann Crain in 1864, Christobelle Crain in 1867, Dunham Jones Crain II, 1869-1870, Davida Crocker Crain in 1872, and Edith Ranzau Crain in 1874 on May 25, 1860, Hannah’s and Dunham Jones’s son Thomas Crowell Taylor Crain studied law and entered the practice in 1884 with the firms Cochran and Clarke and Kenneson, Crain, and Alling. In 1890, he served as New York City mayor Hugh J. Grant’s private secretary, and earned a position the following February as City Chamberlain until 1893. That same year, he married Agnes Clarke in New York City. From 1904 to 1905, Thomas Crowell Taylor served as City Tenement House Commissioner, as well as the presiding judge over the 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Fire case. Dunham Jones Crain died on May 17, 1909, and his wife Hannah Ann followed in 1914, while Thomas Crowell Taylor Crain lived until May 19, 1942. Other members of the family included William Cullen Crain II, Alfred Rufus Crain, Alfred Van Rensselaer Crain, and others, including several marriages into Herkimer County and New York City families like the Warrens, Bowers, Taylors, and Crockers.

 This collection consists of correspondence, photographs, business ledgers, account books, day books, check books, and documents relating to politics, business, foreign affairs, and the family’s personal affairs, which not only offer a glimpse into nineteenth century rural life in New York State, but detail machine politics on a regional, state, and national level into the early twentieth century. Each member of the Crain family penned several letters to each other, as well as to a variety of political and business leaders from New York City, other east coast cities, and overseas. Also present in this collection are a number of business and governmental ledgers, as well as material associated with the Cullen post office and the establishment of the 1892 Church of the Good Shepherd in Cullen. The collection contains various photographs of both immediate and related members of the Crain family. Several published works belong to the collection as well, including a number of religious works and books published by and for New York State government personnel and politicians. Lastly, a variety of assorted personal, business, political, and other topical documents and some physical objects associated with the Crain family’s estate (Cullenwood), New York City real estate business, foreign appointments, finances and payments, and family and friends are present in several folders sorted by year and/or topic.


Virgil Crisafulli Collection

 Born on April 22, 1912 in Clarksburg, West Virginia, Virgil C. Crisafulli spent his early years in Sicily and Wadsworth, Ohio. He graduated from Wadsworth High School in 1932. In 1938, he married Martha Eva Bair. Crisafulli earned his undergraduate, masters, and doctoral degrees from The Ohio State University. Before joining the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant during World War II, Crisafulli served as an economist with the Office of Price Administration and War Labor Board. During the war, he took part in several major combat operations while serving on the USS Ommaney Bay. Honorably discharged in 1946, Crisafulli joined the founding faculty at Utica College that same year. He worked at Utica College for 33 years as a professor of economics, retiring in 1978 as professor emeritus. During his tenure at Utica College, Crisafulli served on the Wage Stabilization Board during the Korean Conflict. From 1962 to 1964, he ran for Congress and served as Robert F. Kennedy’s Oneida County campaign coordinator. In 1967, Crisafulli served as s a delegate to the New York State Constitutional Convention. Throughout his academic career and into retirement, Crisafulli actively continued teaching and researching. He authored several books, including A Directory of Business and Industry in the Upper Mohawk Valley, An Economic Analysis of the Rome-Utica Area, and a history of Utica College.

 The Virgil Crisafulli Collection contains personal letters and correspondence involving Virgil and Martha Crisafulli, Utica College faculty, and family friends, as well as material relating to Virgil Crisafulli’s awards, distinctions, and other memorabilia surrounding his life and time as a UC faculty member. Included are personal letters between Virgil Crisafulli and his wife Martha Eva Bair, Martha and her sister Maddie Bair, and Martha and Pauline “Polly” Walsh (Sondergelt). Other figures mentioned in these letters include Eda Benton, Mrs. D. E. Whitehead, and Neil Chamberlain, as well as letters, documents, memorandums, pamphlets, programs, assorted notes, and official correspondence regarding Crisafulli’s time at Utica College. Related subjects include official appointment letters and letters of recommendation at UC, material related to UC’s Fiftieth Anniversary, a number of biographical materials detailing Crisafulli’s career, information regarding former UC faculty and staff, and the UC chapter of American Association of University Professors (AAUP). The collection also contains papers, letters, memorandums, pamphlets, photographs, programs, and other documentary material regarding the development, institution and advancement of Utica College’s Crisafulli Fund, Crisafulli’s career and involvement in state-wide economic studies, and New York State’s Constitutional Conventions.


Amy Jennings Family Collection

 Utica’s Jennings family maintains a long tenure as residents and military representatives of the city during the twentieth-century. Born in England during the early 1860s, Abram Jennings immigrated to the United States in 1904 alongside his wife Ellen. Together, the migrant couple and their children settled in Utica. On October 12, 1934, Abram Jennings passed away, and soon after was buried in Forest Hill Cemetery. Born on December 12, 1913 to related members of the family, Francis “Frank” M. Jennings served as a 1st Lieutenant in the Air Force during World War II. A continuously prominent member of Utica’s Irish community, Frank Jennings passed away on November 8, 1991. Born on July 26, 1945, Frank’s son Lawrence also served in the United States Armed Forces during the Vietnam War. Drafted in 1967, Lawrence completed basic training in Texas and served as Corporal in the United States Army’s First Air Cavalry Division. On January 19, 1968, Lawrence was killed-in-action by friendly fire.

 The Jennings Family Collection consists of related family material and miscellaneous newspaper clippings and memorabilia. The family material present regarding the family’s local and military history includes newspaper clippings detailing service awards and positions held by the family’s military men during World War II and Vietnam. Some materials detail the family’s connection to Utica’s Irish community. Alongside the material related to the Jennings family, the collection includes some local newspaper clippings and memorabilia.


Carrie Jones Family Collection

 Members of the Jones family (Utica and Holland Patent) have resided in the Mohawk Valley since the beginning of the twentieth-century. Born in 1901, Anna Parry emigrated from the United Kingdom (Wales) in 1916. She arrived in New York that same year and moved to Utica with her family, including a twin sister. Soon after her arrival, Anna married George E. Jones, another Welsh immigrant residing in Utica. On September 29, 1930, the couple’s son, Robert Edward Jones, was born. The Joneses lived at 1214 Ash Street alongside other immigrant families. An only child, Robert “Bob” Jones joined the United States Army soon after his 1949 graduation from Utica Free Academy. Following his return home from the Korean War, Bob Jones married Patricia Lucille Soukup of New Hartford in 1958. Born on May 2, 1936, Pat Soukup (Jones) graduated from New Hartford High School in 1954, and later from Vassar College (Poughkeepsie) in 1958. Following their marriage, Bob and Pat Jones moved to Holland Patent. Pat worked as a teacher at New Hartford High School, while Bob worked at the Utica Typesetting Company. The couple had two children; Richard in March 14, 1960 and Carrie on November 2, 1963. At the age of sixty-four, Robert Jones passed away on November 26, 1994. Pat Jones retired from teaching at New Hartford High School. She passed away on January 12, 2015 at the age of seventy-eight.

 The Carrie Jones Family Collection contains several documents, photographs, and memorabilia associated with Utica’s Jones family. Largely, the collection consists of lifelong documents, memorabilia, and photographs associated with Robert and Patricia (Soukup) Jones, including report cards, yearbooks, a scrapbook, school and church event programs, postcards, newspaper clippings, Freemason induction certificates, and photos of family gatherings and trips, the Korean warfront, and the Utica community during the 1920s. Also present in the collection are documents pertaining to the Parry and Jones family’s early twentieth-century emigration from the United Kingdom. Combined, these materials provide researchers with a detailed glimpse of family life and the community in Central New York during the mid-twentieth-century.

Browse Documents
Browse Photographs and Paintings
Browse Photograph Albums, Scrapbooks, and Yearbooks


Mohawk Valley Boy Scouts Collection

 The Mohawk Valley Boy Scouts Collection provides insight into the recreational and community activities of the Mohawk Valley’s civic organizations during the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Because the collection spans many years and a wide geographic area, the locations and councils included in the collection vary. Rome’s Fort Stanwix Council and the Madison County Council of the city of Oneida merged in 1968 to form the Iroquois Council. Over time, several smaller councils merged together. In 1982, Rome’s Iroquois Council merged with the Upper Mohawk Council of Utica to form the Land of the Oneidas Council. The Land of the Oneidas Council merged with the General Herkimer Council in 2001 to form the Utica’s Revolutionary Trails Council, which served Central New York until the 2015 merger with the Oschedela council to form the Leatherstocking Council. The Revolutionary Trails Council encompassed camps such as Camp Kingsley, Camp Eatonbrook, and the Cederlands Scout Reservation. In recent years, the Boy Scouts of America sold many of their camps and land in the area. The Leatherstocking Council continues to host events and resident camps at Camp Kingsley (Ava, NY) and Henderson Scout Reservation (Maryland, NY).

 This collection consists of a plethora of photographs, newspaper clippings, personal correspondence, and other assorted materials detailing the activities of the Boy Scouts of America in the Mohawk Valley from 1908 to 2002. The collection includes a variety of documents, troop charters, photographs, and twelve scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, photos, physical memorabilia, and scouting-related documents pertaining to a variety of different councils, troops, events, and locations associated with the Mohawk Valley Boy Scouts of America.


Kathleen Oser Collection

 Kathleen Louise Johnson was born on October 3, 1917, in Akron, Ohio. She received a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from the College of Liberal Arts at Boston University in May 1939. Kathleen (Kate) married Jacob Oser on December 17, 1954, and tended to household duties at their home in Endicott, New York. During this time, social activism became a prominent component of Ms. Oser’s life. Her activist endeavors focused on improving the lives of migrant workers, fighting for equal rights for women and members of the gay community, and events related to the peace movement during the Vietnam War. As a student at Boston University from 1938 to 1939, Oser became a member of the Young Communist League. In 1940, she joined the Communist Party and remained a member through the early 1940s. Oser eventually left the Party because she was unable to fully dedicate herself to the Party’s agenda. In addition to being a prominent activist in the Utica area, Ms. Oser was the mother of three, the grandmother of four, and the great-grandmother of five. At the age of 91, she died on September 8, 2009. 

 The Kathleen Oser Collection contains a vast assortment of documents, newspapers, magazines, and photographs relating to the National Organization for Women (NOW) as well as to significant political, social, and cultural events (at the local, state, and national level) during the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. NOW was established in 1966, two years after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlawed sex discrimination, and three years after the publication of The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan (NOW’s co-founder and first president). Kate Oser served as the secretary for the local Utica, New York, chapter of NOW. Her collection includes documents related to various organizations and groups, including: Planned Parenthood; National Abortion Rights Action League (NARAL); Mohawk Valley Friends of Choice; Conscience-Catholics for a Free Choice; Family Planning Advocates of NYS, Inc. (FPA); and United Farm Workers. Additionally, the collection contains documents related to: Civil Rights; feminism; sexual abuse and rape; harassment; marriage and divorce; childcare; nuclear arms; poverty; and sexism. Pertaining directly to NOW, the collection contains: documents from the 1970s and 1980s; do it NOW publications; NOW National Times publications; and documents on the local NOW chapter (Utica) and the Central New York chapter.

Browse Documents
Browse Magazines, Journals, & Periodicals
Browse Newsletters
Browse Newspapers
Browse Pamphlets & Brochures


Oneida County Anti-Slavery Petition Collection

 The Oneida County Anti-Slavery Petition Collection contains digitized copies of petitions from the citizens of Oneida County’s townships to the United States government protesting the continuation and expansion of slavery. This collection includes local petitions from the towns of Annsville, Augusta, Ava, Camden, Clinton, Deerfield, Florence, Floyd, Holland Patent, Kirkland, Lee, Marcy, Marshall, New Hartford, New York Mills, Oneida, Paris, Rome, Sangerfield, Steuben, Trenton, Utica, Vernon, Verona, Vienna, Western, and Whitestown. From 1834 to 1854, these local petitions called for the end of slavery, the slave trade, and the institution’s expansion into the newly acquired Nebraska, Florida, and Texas territories. Additionally, the petitioners called for the reinstatement of the Missouri Compromise after its 1854 repeal in favor of the Kansas-Nebraska Act (1854). The original documents may be found at the National Archives in Washington D.C.


Roberta Walsh Family Collection

 The Roberta Walsh Family Collection offers insight into life in Newport, New York and the upper Mohawk Valley during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Roberta’s mother, Barbara Seaton, was born in 1914 and attended the Rome Free Academy in Rome, New York. Her father, John Seaton, worked at Rome’s Revere Copper and Brass Company. Roberta’s uncle, Roger Burn, served in the Navy during World War II. His ship sank due to friendly fire and he is buried in Manila, Philippines. The collection also includes some artifacts from Roberta Wash’s grandfather, Antonio Abruzzo, who immigrated to Rome, New York from Italy. A family friend, Peter Marinaro, also came to Rome from Italy and was a close friend of the family. Both Antonio Abruzzo’s and Peter Marinaro’s stories offer a small look into immigration in the upper Mohawk Valley. Roberta collected a few Newport, New York area diaries that are also included in the collection. The diaries combined with the family papers grant a glimpse into life in the upper Mohawk Valley during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

 This collection consist of newspaper clippings, photographs, documents, notes, letters, and financial information regarding planning reunions for the Rome Free Academy class of 1933. The collection also contains letters, photos, and information on Roger Burns’s military service. The collection contains photos, award buttons and pins, and certificates commemorating John Seaton’s work at Revere Brass and Copper Company. Also included are naturalization papers, passports, and alien registration cards from Antonio Abruzzo and Peter Marinaro. The collection contains three diaries and one day book from the Newport, New York area. Also included is a post card collection and plaque with the key to a family member’s coffin.


Utica Zoo Collection 

 Founded in 1914, the Utica Zoo has served the region for over one hundred years. In 1909, Thomas R. Proctor set aside and donated the land where the Zoo sits in Utica’s Roscoe-Conkling Park. Proctor hired famed landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. to plan Roscoe Conkling Park’s roads and scenic walkways. The Utica Parks Department formerly operated the Zoo property until 1964, when the Utica Zoological Society formally inherited ownership of the site. In 1966, the group hired the Zoo’s first professional director, and one year later, the site opened the Children’s Zoo. The New York State Educational Department chartered the Zoological Society as an educational organization in 1968 and the site inaugurated its own education department in 1973. Builders completed the site’s first building (today’s Wildlife Building) in 1920, which houses the Zoo’s administrative offices and personnel, auditorium, reptile exhibits and the kitchen, while construction concluded on the building’s Animal Care Center in 1981. Oneida County provides the Zoo with annual support and an annual operating grant from the New York State Natural Heritage Trust, while the Zoological Society raises the remainder of the budget through admissions fees, society membership, special events, the gift shop, the Adopt an Animal program, animal feed sales, stroller rentals, pavilion rentals and donations. The Zoo remains an active institution in South Utica’s recreational complex.

 The Utica Zoo Collection contains a plethora of newsletters, newspaper articles and clippings, photographs, and other assorted material relating to the history, development, and operation of the Utica Zoo. Included are several issues of the Zoo’s annual newsletters including the “Zootica” and “Zoo News” publications, as well as the more recent “Utica Zoo Newz” publication. These newsletters date from 1966 to 2015. The collection also contains six scrapbooks collated at the Zoo, which contain a variety of newspaper articles, clippings, and memorabilia relating to the Zoo’s past events and history. Lastly, four binders worth of photographs of Zoo personnel, animals, the complex itself, and past events are included.

Browse Zoo Newsletters
Browse Zoo Photographs
Browse Zoo Scrapbooks

Select the collections to add or remove from your search