Skip to main content

About this collection

The Rochester Medical Museum and Archives is a repository of medical archives chronicling the history of Healthcare in Rochester. This consortium includes the Baker-Cederberg Museum and Archives of the Rochester General Hospital, The Genesee Hospital Archives, and the Myers Community Hospital and Newark-Wayne Community Hospital, Behavioral Health Network ( Rochester Mental Health Center) Collections plus several tenant collections including: The New York State and Genesee Dietetic Associations and the Emergency Medical Services Collection. Collectively, these archival collections represent the vast array of Rochester’s Healthcare -- some nineteen collections in all.

The Baker-Cederberg Museum and Archives Collection

The Baker-Cederberg Archives was established in 1947 for the hospital's centennial, and was named in honor of Marion Bradley Baker and George Cederberg, who saw the value of Preserving Rochester General's past. For over half a century, the Baker-Cederberg Museum and Archives has served as the repository of Rochester General's rich heritage. Its collections include minute books of Rochester General's various boards from 1847 to present, scrapbooks, uniforms, memorabilia, and a 22,000-image photo collection.

The Baker-Cederberg Museum and Archives is a repository for several related collections:

  • Genesee Dietetic Association, 1923-present
  • New York State Dietetic Association
  • Florence Nightengale Post, American Legion, 1919-present
  • John D. States, MD Automotive Safety Collection
  • Emergency Medical Service Collection
  • The Valenti Collection of Early AIDS Imprints
  • New York State Dietetic Association
  • Genesee Valley Dietetic Association
  • The Behavioral Health Network Collection

Rochester Homeopathic Genesee Hospital Collection

On a wintery day in 1887, Mrs. Hiram Sibley witnessed a woman fall on the icy sidewalk outside her East Avenue home. She ordered her coachman to take the lady to the nearest hospital, which was the Rochester City Hospital on the other side of the city. This incident inspired her to join the cause for the establishment of a hospital on the east side of the city. Along with a group of other concerned citizens and local homeopathic physicians, Mrs. Sibley's efforts led to the granting of a charter by New York State for the estabilshment of the Rochester Homeopathic Hospital on May 25, 1887.

The hospital was established at 233 Monroe Avenue and opened on September 19, 1889. The institution eventually moved to 244 Alexander Street in 1894 and remained there until it closed in May 2001. Changes in medical science led the Rochester Homeopathic Hospital to change its name to Genesee Hospital in 1926.

During its one-hundred and two years, the Genesee Hospital grew to meet the needs of the community, acieving natural recognition as a pioneering leader in autologous bone marrow transplants, gastroenterology, coronary care and pulmonary treatment.

Rochester Homeopathic Genesee Hospital School of Nursing Collection

The School of Nursing opened December 1, 1889 as the Rochester Homeopathic Hospital Training School. The first graduating class consisted of three students. The school was a leader in the effort to establish professional criteria for the training and registering of nurses. This effort culminated in the New York State Nurse Practice Act of 1903. Miss Ida Jane Anderson, a member of the class of 1902, holds the distinction of being the first registered nurse in New York State.

The last class was graduated in June 1978. Many of the other 2,063 graduates of the school went on to distinguished careers in nursing, and in nursing education, and today carry on the school's traditions as memebers of of the Genesee Hospital Alumni Association.

Rochester City General Hospital School of Nursing Collection

Rochester's first training school for nurses was established in 1880. Dr. William S. Ely proposed a formal training school to the governing Board of Lady Managers in early 1880. Although hesitant at first, the Lady Managers eventually recognized the advantages of the hospital-based nursing program. Miss Aurora Smith, a graduate of New York's Bellvue Hospital was recruited to design the new training program.

The RGH School of Nursing was the twelth nursing school in the nation and the third oldest in New York State. The first graduation was held on March 31, 1883 and there were four students in this class. Mary E. Dickinson, a member of this first class, later studied medicine and practiced medicine in Rochester until her death in 1937. Three members of the class of 1884 later became physicians.

The practice of Nursing has evolved into a highly diverse and specialized field of health care. The eventual development of accredited nursing degree programs forced the closing of many hospital-based nurse training programs. The Rochester General Hospital School of Nursing graduated its last class in 1964.

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK